Car Crash in Answer to a Prayer

"Bust in the Jaw in Answer to a Prayer"


Have you ever prayed a sincere prayer with all your heart just to feel like you've gotten a "bust in the jaw" as an answer?  

This last Saturday I totally felt that way and then was given one of the greatest lessons I could have received.  

Ok...ready for the story?  Here it goes...

It was one of those days.  Nothing seemed to be going right, on top of a couple of hard days before.  You know what I mean?  But we were having friends over for a BBQ that night and I was doing my best to stay positive.

I say that because I have been studying Leslie Housholder's books (rarefaith.org) and intently focusing on creating what I want and having a positive focused mindset so I can create the life I want.  However, in spite of my efforts, I was feeling like I desperately needed a win or two.  And my sweet husband has been feeling the same way.

So we went grocery shopping.  No big deal, we had a couple of things to get and 3 stops to make.  We finished the first store, packed the bags in the car and took off to store number 2.  

That's when the real issue began.  Where is my wallet?  I looked around me...nothing.  I looked in the back of the car with the groceries...not there.  

Ok...hopefully this store will take ApplePay,  I went in while my husband went back to store number 1.  I knew exactly where I left the wallet.  It was in front of the shopping cart.  It just didn't get picked up after we packed the groceries.  But nope, he looked in every cart and it wasn't there.  He talked to the store employees and nothing had been turned in.  

So weird...because there was no doubt in my mind where I left it.  Someone had definitely found it.

We went home, unpacked the groceries and then I went back to store number 1 to look.  I was distraught and a little flustered by it all.  Plus, remember, I was hosting a gathering in a little over an hour.  

On my way to the store I said a prayer.  And my prayer was desperation and complete angst, over my wallet and some of the other events of the past couple of days weighing on my heart and mind.  I  plead with the Lord to help me find my wallet.  I asked to know that He was not only there but mindful of me and that if the principles of mindset I have been studying are true, then would He PLEASE (with all energy of my heart, I prayed) would He help me find my wallet.  

I then put the principles to work and completely envisioned my wallet, color, texture, weight and size, including the zipper details and everything.  I imagined holding it in my hands.  I was in the right mindset and I would find my wallet.  

I got to the store and nothing.  It was nowhere and no one had turned it in.  I was devastated.  My heart was heavy and I felt defeat.  Like not a defeat of a battle, but the defeat of the war.  If that makes sense.  I felt like God had forsaken me and didn't care that I was broken.  

It was in this unhealthy mindset I set out for home.  Trying to get myself in a place where I could be a good host.   

Ok...I was going to be ok.  It's just a wallet.  I'm trying to convince myself all the way home.  But I was a mess and completely distracted.  

When my conscious mind finally engaged as I was driving and I looked up and realized the light in front of me was red and there was a car stopped right in front of me.  I slammed on my breaks and swerved but it was too late.  I smashed right into the innocent stopped car.  
And I thought, as George Bailey did, "That's what I get for praying".  

Fast forward an hour or so.  Our guests had arrived and my husband was being the perfect host.  I was shaken in many ways, as you can imagine.  When there was a knock on the door...

Someone had found my wallet and returned it to a neighbor, who in turn came to find me.  

I was grateful.  Still in a funk mentally and spiritually.  Honestly, I kind of felt like..."yeah yeah yeah but..."

It wasn't until I was getting ready for bed that it hit me.  "My lip's, bleeding, Burt, My lip's bleeding!"  As George says joyfully when he realizes "It's a Wonderful Life".

HOLY COW!!  My prayer was answered.  Not in my timing or my way, but the Lord answered my prayer.  I couldn't deny that I was holding my wallet, most everything was in tact.  

I started sobbing as my heart turned from anguish to gratitude.

LESSON:  My prayer was answered.  AND all that I've been learning about mindset works.  

God does know our needs and answers our prayers.  Sometimes there are obstacles, like a busted lip or a car crash, that hold us back from seeing the truth of that.  But prayers will be answered and our hopes and mindset will come to fruition...not as we think they will or even in the timing we'd like, but they will happen.  

“Even if he fails again and again to accomplish his purpose (as he necessarily must until weakness is over come), the strength of character gained will be the measure of his true success, and this will form a new starting-point for future power and triumph...
He who has conquered doubt and fear has conquered failure. His every, thought is allied with power, and all difficulties are bravely met and wisely overcome. His purposes are seasonably planted, and they bloom and bring forth fruit, which does not fall prematurely to the ground.”

Excerpt From: James Allen. “As a Man Thinketh.” James Allen, 2012. Apple Books. https://books.apple.com/us/book/as-a-man-thinketh/id583230166”

I hope I will always remember this life altering lesson that came from a car crash as an answer to prayer.  

When life seems to be beating you down, hold on to the thought and know that you have the power (and I dare say obligation) to  control our realities through the nature and focus of our thoughts.  

I am grateful.  

I am grateful I  am safe.  I am grateful I've been awakened to my strengths and weaknesses.  I am grateful for my wallet.  I am grateful for answers to prayers.

Comments

  1. Just remember - it's okay to have a really rotten day. It's okay to have those moments (and let's be honest, sometimes days) where we are NOT okay. Take the time you need. Call on your friends and your remarkable spouse. Let us be there for you in the ways you've always been there for us. Nobody wants or expects you to be perfect - we just want you to be the singular, remarkable, unique Heather Woodman...... <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you're safe. You have your wallet, and...who knows how many good things will come of your bad day? A new car?? Ha ha!!❤

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts